Although I complain about the summer heat 99.9% of the time, nothing beats summer in New York City. So when you’re a twenty-something year old like myself, you’re always looking for fun things to do in NYC (especially if you’re visiting). Right?
THE LOOK | dress c/o, shoes, celine sunglasses, gucci scarf& mansur bag: borrowed from allie
Some of my favorite things to do in New York City are in the summer time. Although I don’t necessarily love how hot and sticky it gets (here’s a great story) in the summer in New York, this city makes up for it with all of the fun things to do in NYC! In case you live here or are planning a summer trip here, I wanted to share a few of my favorite things to do in the summertime!
Central Park Boats
So I’ve never done this (yet), but on a not-too-humid summer day, it would be a perfect day for a little boat ride around Central Park. Obviously, I’d make Matt row the entire time…because too much effort. Afterwards, take a picnic blanket and head to the lawn for a bottle of rosé and some light bites!
Outdoor/rooftop season is THE best thing about summer in New York City. Whether you’re right in the heart of Midtown or down by the water, there’s definitely a rooftop to enjoy a drink and take in the views. Rooftop bars make me so happy because it means two things: 1. You have a nice glass of somethin’ cold in your hand and 2. The weather is probably gorgeous. Can’t get much better than that! Some of my absolute FAVORITE rooftops are:
- Refinery Rooftop – This is a couple of blocks from my office in Midtown, so I love going here for lunch (love the fish tacos) or happy hour. You really can’t beat the views of the Empire State Building either!
- Pod 39 – Pod 39 will always be one of my favorite places because Matt and I had our very first date here! Their margaritas are amazing (love the chili lime salted rims) and the fun, unique set up makes it a great late night hang out spot!
- Mr. Purple – So Mr. Purple is a trendy rooftop bar…which means there’s usually a long line. But the views are worth it, promise!
- Loopy Doopy – This one is ONLY on my list because if you’re visiting New York you GOTTA get a photo of an ice pop in prosecco. The space itself is pretty small, so it tends to get crowded quickly. But #views
Venture To Smorgasburg
Smorgasburg is one of the ultimate fun things to do in NYC if you’re a foodie. There’s about 70+ vendors ranging from french fries to biscuits to lobster rolls and everything in between. They also have wine, beer and cocktails — which is always a plus. I’ve been to Smorgasburg when it was freakin’ freezing (right before they close for the season), so I didn’t get the full experience and knew I needed to go back. Then, I went two other times and left disgustingly full. It was awesome. It’s also nice to get to another borough and hang out. Williamsburg is SO nice and definitely worth spending the day there.
All Dressed Up With Nowhere To Go
When all else fails, throw on your best summer dress and head out for a fancy dinner with your best girlfriends or your significant other. There are so many amazing cozy date night spots or fun places for you and your girls to go to! Some of Matt and my favorite date night spots are:
- San Marzano – Italian in East Village
- Jacob’s Pickles – Southern Comfort on the Upper West Side
- The Penrose – American on the Upper East Side
- JG Mellon – Burgers on the Upper East Side
- Blue Smoke – BBQ by Union Square or in Battery Park
I love wearing a little midi dress when I’m going to be out and about. This Chicwish beauty is one of the best dresses I own. It can easily be dressed up with heels (like I’m wearing) or dressed down with sandals.The crocheted pattern happens to be super feminine, which I love, but I’ve seen girls who’ve worn these types of dresses with sneakers! I also love that it’s so easy to accessorize. Allie happened to have her new scarf with her (and I “forgot” mine..duh;)), so she tied it around me quick and I was good to go.
There’s a million fun things to do in the summer in New York City, so sometimes it’s hard to actually pick something. That’s why I have some solid options that are always good go-tos.
shop the post
other chicwish favorites
created in partnership with chicwish